Skip to main content

New Home - Kitchen 2006

 

This is what our kitchen looked like when we first bought our home.  That was the brightest yellow I had ever seen, and paired with the high gloss, cherry wood, polyurethane cabinets, it was rather shocking to the system!


I took a pendaflex from Sherwin Williams and any time I found something I liked the colors on, I looked to see what colors of paint matched it.  It's funny, but I found an iridescent placemat that had several coral colors in it, and that is how I made my final color choices.  Coral, Salmon & Foxy.  I did things a little different than most folks, and painted all the walls Salmon, except for most of the southern walls, which I painted Coral, which was just a shade lighter.  Folks often don't even notice, but it's a fun little thing to do.
This is what the kitchen looked like after a good paint job.  Now the cabinets don't jump out at you and the colors are much more soothing.  If you notice the wall on this side of the bar, it's the lighter color and the rest of the kitchen is the darker color.

There we are, before and after! It's amazing what a little color can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Soffit Removal 2016-17

  Here we are, back at it again!  This time I wanted to re-do the ceiling, but I'd always wanted to take out the soffits above the cabinets, and this was the prime time to do so! The first thing we did was take the piece of sheet rock that had been placed on the end of the stove side soffit.  This was the result of the wall that we took out 10 years prior.  We'd never gotten around to doing more than tacking up the square of sheetrock, so it was easy to take down.   Thankfully there was nothing inside and we were free to proceed with that side.  Removing the framework was the most challenging, but with some patience, a handy sawzall, and my trusty wiggle tool, we were able to get it taken apart in no time. We then took some scrap sheet rock and filled in the openings.  We weren't worried about the ceiling too much, but we did need to make the wall look nice.  We placed a 2x4 across the top to help hold the board in while we were attaching it. Now that we knew it would work,

Fireplace 2006

One of the first things we did when we bought our house was to paint the fireplace. Here's what it looked like when we first looked at the place. We later learned that others we knew had looked at it too but couldn't get past the fire-engine red fireplace.   Thankfully, my mom, sister, and I were able to provide the proper treatment and give it a new life.  After priming it we painted it the dark color, then used a "dry roller" with the medium color and then sponged/ ragged, a third lighter color and a little brown.  It gave it a more dimensional look, more like real brick.   See the difference between the top half and the lower half!  It's starting to look like real bricks again. We later learned that the mantle was removeable.  I recommend that you always check that first.  It sure would have saved us a lot of time and effort. Here we are adding the final colors, ragging on a  few different colors, one at a time.